Subject: Re: Massive Bush-Connected Military Contractor's Media Mess
From: Sir Arthur C. B. E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.
Date: 17/08/2003, 12:23
Newsgroups: alt.alien.visitors,alt.alien.research,alt.paranet.ufo,alt.paranet.abduct

In article <bhmm07$ftl$1@pencil.math.missouri.edu>, Starman says...

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EH16Ak02.html

Massive military contractor's media mess 
By Katrin Dauenhauer and Jim Lobe 

Aug 16, 2003 
WASHINGTON - 

It is no secret that US defense and construction  companies -
particularly those with close ties to the administration of President
George W Bush - are making a lot of money in the post-war rush for
contracts in Iraq. 

Firms whose directors held membership in Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld's Defense Policy Board (DPB) or in the "Committee for the
Liberation of Iraq" (CLI) did not appear to suffer any handicap,
either. 

Two big winners, of course, were Halliburton, whose last CEO was Vice
President Dick Cheney, and engineering giant Bechtel, whose senior
vice president, Jack Sheehan, serves on the DPB. 

Former Secretary of State George Shultz, a Bechtel board member and
former top executive, also chaired CLI, a supposedly non-governmental
body that helped lead the march to war and dissolved itself late last
month. 

Less well known is San Diego-based Scientific Applications
International Corporation (SAIC), one of the Pentagon's largest, most
lucrative and politically connected contractors. 

Of the six billion dollars it earned in revenue last year, about two
thirds came from the US Treasury, mostly from the defense budget. 

SAIC is among the most mysterious and feared of the big 10 defense
giants - feared because of its ruthlessness in procuring contracts,
says the Washington Post; mysterious, in part because, as an
employee-owned company, it does not have to file with the Securities
and Exchange Commission (SEC), and because its press officers are
notorious for not providing information. 

Indeed, for this article, SAIC press officers referred all questions
to the Pentagon's general press office. 

SAIC, which specializes in advanced technologies that can be applied
to the battlefield, particularly in command and control systems, is
now deeply involved in the Pentagon's most important operations in
Iraq. 

That it should be is really no surprise, taking into account its
various connections. 

Among the hawks on the DPB, Rumsfeld's mini-think tank, for example,
is retired Admiral William Owens, a former vice chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff who also served as SAIC's president and CEO and is
currently its vice chairman. 

Another member of SAIC's board is retired Army General Wayne Downing,
who until last summer served as the chief counter-terrorism expert on
the National Security Council (NSC) staff. 

Before that, Downing also served as a lobbyist for the Iraqi National
Congress (INC) led by Ahmad Chalabi, the controversial Iraqi
expatriate long championed by the neo-conservatives in the
administration and the DPB. 

Like Shultz, Downing was also on the board of the CLI, which, not
coincidentally, worked closely with the INC. 

Another prominent SAIC executive and former vice president also has a
long-standing connection with Iraq: 

David Kay, the former UN weapons inspector who was hired by the
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in June to head the effort to track
down Iraqi weapons of mass destruction (WMD). 

A former senior science official in the Reagan administration, Kay
argued forcefully last fall against relying on UN weapons inspections
to "contain" Iraq and for removing Saddam Hussein from power. 

These connections may account for some of SAIC's success in landing
Iraqi-related contracts. 

For example, it has been running the Iraqi Reconstruction and
Development Council (IRDC) since the body was established by the
Pentagon in February. 

According to press accounts, the 150 mostly-expatriate Iraqis employed
in the program, most of whom have been in Baghdad since May, are to
serve as the "Iraqi face" of the occupation authority. 

Senior members of the IRDC, many of who have been closely associated
with the INC, hold posts at each of Iraq's 23 ministries with a
mandate to rebuild them. 

Perhaps not coincidentally, SAIC's corporate vice president for
strategic assessment and development, Christopher Ryan Henry, joined
the Pentagon as deputy undersecretary of defense for policy at the
same time as the IRDC got underway, serving with Under Secretary of
Defense for Policy Douglas Feith, who was in overall charge of
preparing for post-war Iraq. 

SAIC is also a subcontractor under Vinnell Corporation, another big
defense contractor that has long been in charge of training for the
Saudi National Guard, hired to reconstitute and train a new Iraqi
army. 

Not much is known about the progress that is being made in either of
those projects, but a third has become, by all accounts, a major
disaster. 

The Iraqi (sometimes referred to as "Indigenous") Media Network (IMN)
project, valued initially at a minimum of US$25 million, was formally
launched in mid-April as a successor to a psychological warfare
program that beamed radio broadcasts before and during the war into
Iraq from a C130 cargo plane called "Commando Solo". 

But the IMN was considerably more ambitious in scope, since its aim,
as an outgrowth of the IRDC operation, was to put together a new
information ministry, complete with television, radio and a newspaper,
and the content that would make all three attractive to average
Iraqis. 

To oversee the job, SAIC hired away the director of Voice of America
(VOA), Robert Reilly, an outspoken right-wing ideologue who began his
public career in the 1980s as a propagandist in the White House for
the Nicaraguan contras. 

Reilly tangled immediately with his deputy, Mike Furlong, a Pentagon
contractor who worked on media issues in Kosovo. 

Both men were out of the project by the end of June, according to
knowledgeable sources. 

"SAIC didn't have any suitable qualification to run a media network,"
according to Rohan Jayasekera, who has kept an eye on media
developments in Iraq for London-based Index on Censorship. 

"The whole thing was so incredibly badly planned by them that no one
could make sense of what they were doing," he said. 

Jayasekera noted, for example, that SAIC ordered equipment that was
incompatible with existing systems in Iraq and that it had made no
plans for TV programming. 

When it asked for help from VOA, which considers itself a professional
news organization, it was forced to rely on hastily patched together
and dubbed network news programs, much of which would appeal only to a
domestic audience. 

"Increasingly, the newscasts became irrelevant for Iraqis," one source
told The Washington Post in May. 

"They're not really interested in the Laci Peterson [murder] case." 

A page reserved for the project on the website of the US provisional
authority in Iraq said Wednesday, "There is no information available
at this time." 

Three months into the project, Ahmad Rikabi, a highly-regarded Iraqi
expatriate brought in to help manage the operation, abruptly quit,
apparently frustrated at the lack of planning, resources and
investment that SAIC put in the project and the hemorrhaging of his
professional staff, some of whom had not been paid for weeks. 

"Saddam Hussein is doing better at marketing himself, through
al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya Gulf channels," Rikabi told reporters. 

One of the project's principal trainers, Don North, who had worked
with media in Afghanistan, has also quit, complaining to the New York
Times that the Pentagon was not interested in professional journalism.

"Its role was envisioned to be an information conduit," he said, "and
not just rubberstamp flacking for the CPA", the initials of the
occupation authority run by L Paul Bremer. 

The Pentagon itself has kept the project stumbling along on short-term
contracts with SAIC, but, according to Jayasekera, is actively looking
for an alternative. 

The fact that that SAIC was hired in the first place, however,
"appears to have been a serious mistake". 
__________________________________________________________
fwd//Starman

ACLU Site w/Patriot Act info, citizen action initiatives, etc.
http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12126&c=207

"We, having dutifully served our nation, do hereby affirm our greater 
responsibility to serve the cause of world peace by applying the 
concept of engaging conflict peacefully, without violence."
http://www.veteransforpeace.org

"The corporate grip on opinion in the United States is one of the
wonders of the Western world. No First World country has ever managed
to eliminate so entirely from its media all objectivity -- much less
dissent. 
"Of course, it is possible for any citizen with time to spare, and a
canny eye, to work out what is actually going on, but for the many
there is not time, and the network news is the only news even though
it may not be news at all but only a series of flashing fictions..." 
--Gore Vidal