NEW ZEALAND ——> EXCITING FUN: N.Z. ROYAL NAVY SINKING JAP VESSELS
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/auckland/japan-set-to-restart-antarctic-whaling/
Japan's moves to restart Antarctic whaling cause deep concern for the
government.
Japan's seeking international support for a revised scientific whaling
programme, which it expects to put before the International Whaling
Commission later this year.
Prime Minister John Key says that's unacceptable.
"I'd be deeply disappointed. New Zealand was part of the legal case that was
taken to the International Court of Justice. The message from the ICJ was
very clear, and in my opinion the message to Japan should be very clear."
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/japans-whaling-decision-disappointing-2015112818#axzz3swaozPM8
Japan's whaling decision 'disappointing'
Saturday 28 Nov 2015 6:50 p.m.
Japan should toe the line and hold off on resuming whaling in the Antarctic
until the International Whaling Commission looks at it, New Zealand says.
Japan wants to resume whaling in the Antarctic Ocean by the end of March.
Tokyo cancelled the bulk of its whaling for the 2014-15 season following a
ruling from the International Court of Justice.
But the Japanese Fisheries Agency has notified the International Whaling
Commission that Japan will resume whaling in the 2015-16 season under a
revised plan.
The plan, which calls for cutting annual minke whale catches by two-thirds
to 333, is scientifically reasonable, the agency said in a document filed
with the commission.
New Zealand's Acting Foreign Minister Todd McClay says the decision is
disappointing and Japan should heed the court's decision and international
scientific evidence.
The whaling commission's expert panel was very clear this year that Japan
had not made the case for lethal research, Mr McClay said.
"New Zealand's long-standing and fundamental opposition to this practice
remains unchanged," Mr McClay said.
"It is clear that Japan's research objectives can be met using non-lethal
means.
"We call on Japan to heed the expert panel's advice and postpone any whaling
this season. Our strong view is that Japan should at least afford the
International Whaling Commission the opportunity to consider the proposal in
2016."
Japan began what it calls scientific whaling in 1987, a year after an
international whaling moratorium took effect.
Japan has long maintained that most whale species are not endangered and
that eating whale is part of its food culture.
Last year, New Zealand Prime Minister John Key told his Japanese counterpart
Shinzo Abe during his visit to Auckland that Kiwis want to see the end of
whaling.
Mr Key at the time would not rule out getting the Navy involved if Japan
breaches the court's ruling.
NZN
-----------------------------------------------------
NZ slams Japan's whaling resumption plans
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/5734445/NZ-slams-Japans-whaling-resumption-plans
JOHN HARTEVELT, DANYA LEVY, KATE CHAPMAN AND MICHAEL FIELD
New Zealand has lashed out at the resumption of Japanese whaling in the
Southern Ocean.
Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully said Japan was "isolating itself
from the international community" by deciding to resume whaling.
"Japan's decision is increasingly out of step with international opinion. It
is also entirely disrespectful of the strong concerns expressed by
Australian and New Zealand people for whom the Southern Ocean is our
neighbourhood," McCully said.
Japan's Minister of Agriculture announced in Tokyo overnight that Japan
would resume its Southern Ocean whaling programme over summer and that the
fleet would have military security to protect it from the radical
environment group Sea Shepherd which has promised to launch "Operation
Divine Wind" or kamikaze against them. Last year Japan ended its whaling
because of continued Sea Shepherd action.
Both the Labour and Green Partys have called for NZ patrol boats to be in
the Southern Ocean during the whaling season.
McCully said the NZ government had in "regular contact with the Japanese
government" about whaling.
"We have urged them not to return to the Southern Ocean this year. The
whaling programme serves no useful purpose and deserves to be consigned to
history," McCully said.
"The programme's so-called 'scientific' purpose is highly dubious. There is
not much appetite for whale meat on the Japanese market. The whaling fleet
is getting old and requires increasing amounts of Government cash to keep it
afloat."
New Zealand had tried "very hard" to find a long term solution to whaling in
the Southern Ocean. It was "a sad reality" that the resumption of Japanese
whaling made it "much harder" for a diplomatic process to continue.
McCully added he was "alarmed" by recent statements from the Sea Shepherd's
Paul Watson "suggesting life threatening tactics" would be used this season.
He was also worried by Japanese suggestions their fleets would be
accompanied by undisclosed security measures.
"The New Zealand Government has consistently urged all parties to act
responsibly during the whaling season, and to avoid actions that may put
their lives, or the lives of others, at risk or which may harm the Antarctic
environment," McCully said.
The Government hadn't yet considered sending an offshore vessel to the
Southern Ocean, as the Green Party is calling for, saying Japan only
announced its intentions yesterday.
Greens oceans spokesperson Gareth Hughes said the Government was committed
to saving whales, but didn't have the courage to commit any resources to do
so.
"A verbal telling-off is not going save the whales.
"The best thing the Government can do to save the whales is to ensure the
safety of protest vessels trying to stop the hunt."
The Government could send a Navy vessel to act as an independent observer,
he said,
"As last year's clash between the Ady Gill protest boat and a Japanese
whaler demonstrated, there is a very high potential for things to go wrong
on the hunt.
"It is an extremely hostile natural environment and human emotions are
running high.
"The presence of a New Zealand patrol vessel would serve as a restraint on
all parties while signalling to the Japanese people our serious wish to
protect these rare and wonderful marine mammals."
Labour leader Phil Goff said navy ships should be in the Southern Ocean
during the whaling season.
"God knows why the Japanese are still whaling in our waters. They've got
warehouses full of whale meat that they can't sell yet they're still coming
down here and destroying animals that are protected animals."
Japanese whaling ships were not welcome in New Zealand's part of the world,
he said.
They seemed to be "spoiling for a fight".
"We know that there are dangerous manoeuvres between the protestors and the
whaling ships, New Zealand can play a positive role in preventing injury and
deaths."
It would be up to the navy when and where they were there, Goff said.
However McCully said it was Australia's turn this year. "...if the usual
patterns follow, the whaling is likely to take place in Australia's search
and rescue zone which would bounce that ball rather more firmly into their
court."
Australia had lodged proceedings against Japan over the whaling in the
International Court of Justice, McCully said.
New Zealand had indicated it wouldn't become a party to that case because it
would mean an Australian judge would be removed from the bench.
"Australia doesn't want us to do that but they do welcome us being
interveners in the legal action which means we will get to appear and
express our point of view."
In Australia the decision to resume whaling has also angered with Foreign
Minister Kevin Rudd telling The Age in Melbourne that it was particularly
disappointed the whaling would occur in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary
established by the International Whaling Commission.
''There is widespread concern in the international community at Japan's
whaling program and widespread calls for it to cease,'' Rudd said.
Attorney-General Robert McClelland said Australia's decision to take legal
action against Japan in May 2010 in the International Court of Justice was
not taken lightly.
''Australia believes Japan's whaling is contrary to international law and
should stop,'' he said.
Japan normally tries to take 1000 whales each year in what it calls
scientific research but faces further disruption from Sea Shepherd and his
"Operation Divine Wind" campaign.
"Operation Divine Wind", a reference to the Japanese word kamikaze, the name
given to hundreds of World War Two suicide pilots, sailors and soldiers who
attacked Allied forces in the Pacific.
They were named after a "divine wind" that destroyed a Mongolian fleet
attacking Japan in the 13th century.
Watson has claimed his ships and crews are ready to attack the Japanese.
"I do think that we are in for a very dramatic and adventurous three months
beginning in December and I am confident that we will be able to stop them
once again," he said on the group's Facebook page.
He said the Japanese would have to kill the Sea Shepherd volunteers.
"Are the Japanese people ready to take human lives in defence of this
horrifically cruel and illegal slaughter of endangered and protected species
of whales?
"Do we have to die to appease Japanese honour?
"If so, my answer to the Japanese government is 'hoka hey' (it's a good day
to die), and we will undertake whatever risks to our lives will be required
to stop this invasion of arrogant greed into what is an established
sanctuary for the whales."
They will have three ships in the region and Watson has called on Australia
and New Zealand to send navy ships to monitor action.
In previous seasons Sea Shepherd has managed to harass the whaling fleet,
preventing it from whaling. Last year a New Zealander with Sea Shepherd,
Peter Bethune, managed to board a whaler but was arrested by the crew and
taken back to Tokyo where he was briefly jailed.
Sea Shepherd says whaling makes little political or economic sense, but
Japan now does not want to be "surrender to Sea Shepherd Conservation
Society".
Japan's in-debted whaling fleet was an economic burden
"It is an insult to all the anti-whaling nations that so generously
contributed to the relief of the tsunami and earthquake victims," said
Watson.
"They have accepted foreign aid to help the victims of that tragedy, and are
now shifting funds to perpetuate this illegal and obscene massacre of
defenceless whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary… It's a disgrace
and a smack in the face to everyone who stepped forward to help in their
time of need."
Sea Shepherd says they will send over 100 volunteers to the Southern Ocean
Whale Sanctuary to defend the whales.
They say it will be the eighth year that Sea Shepherd has sent ships to
Antarctica, saving over 800 whales in the last year's campaign.
-Fairfax NZ
†
†
†
ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ
Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty
Maangai Kaawanatanga - Tainui Kiingitanga - Te Aotearoa
http://www.exorcist.org.nz — Ko te Mana Motuhake
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/iankahi_eriya_nation_john_frum.html
ﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣﺣ
Jeremiah 10:2 K.J.V.
" Thus saith the LORD,
Learn not the way of the heathen . . . "
" For the customs of the people are vain:
for one cutteth a tree out of the forest,
the work of the hands of the workman,
with the axe.
They deck it with silver and with gold;
they fasten it with nails and with hammers,
that it move not. They are upright as
the palm tree, but speak not: "