| Archive Index | Area 51 Mailing List Archive | Ufomind |
From: campbell@ufomind.com (Glenn Campbell, Las Vegas) Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:30:16 -0800 Subject: U. S. Ended UFO Probes in '60s. (Pentagon briefing.) [via CloudRider@aol.com] 04/01 - U. S. Ended UFO Probes in '60s. (Pentagon briefing.) .c The Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) - Convinced there is no extraterrestrial threat, the U.S. military long ago stopped keeping track of UFOs, Pentagon spokesman Kenneth Bacon said Tuesday. The suicide last week of 39 members of Heaven's Gate, a high-tech UFO cult, prompted a question at Tuesday's Pentagon briefing on whether the military follows UFOs. Bacon said the Air Force investigated UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 but out of 12,618 reported sightings found no evidence of extraterrestrials or even of any aircraft representing exotic technology or a threat to the United States. The Air Force stopped the practice because virtually all the UFOs it investigated were explainable as aircraft or weather phenomena and posed no threat. Asked about the possible existence of UFOs, Bacon said the U.S. government ``cannot substantiate that they exist.'' AP-NY-04-01-97 1656EST
Area 51 Mailing List - Standards and General Information
Sponsored by the Area 51 Research Center.
Moderated by Glenn Campbell.
Technical contact:
webmaster@ufomind.com
Financial support for this web server is provided by the Research Center Catalog.