UFO UpDates Mailing List
From: Stig_Agermose@online.pol.dk (Stig Agermose) Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 20:48:33 +0200 Fwd Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 15:43:06 -0400 Subject: The Sunday Times [UK] Feature On Corso's Book The Sunday Times, 8 June 1997, p. 7 in the first section: IT CAME from outer space. Now the very first X File is being reopened as a new witness comes from out of the blue to testify that he saw the body of an alien recovered from the wreckage of a flying saucer in the New Mexico desert. The "Roswell" incident has fascinated UFO researchers for 50 years. Now Colonel Philip Corso, a retired American army officer, has written a book in which he becomes the highest-ranking person to give evidence that what crashed was not, as the Pentagon insisted, a high-altitude balloon, but an alien spacecraft. Britain's UFO spotters welcomed his testimony this week-end as fresh evidence that Roswell actually happened, after losing credibility when a film purporting to show the autopsy of the aliens was exposed by the Sunday Times as a hoax. Sceptics, though, claim it is Corso who is now full of hot air, pointing to the fact that he has kept quiet for half a century only to come forward to cash in on the golden anniversary of the incident which started the UFO craze. (snip)---(Recapitulation of the Roswell events and nothing but the well-known facts)--- In his book The Day After Roswell, Corso claims not only to have seen an alien who had been killed in a crash but also to have examined the Pentagon's secret files on the incident. Corso says that the Pentagon shipped the bodies of aliens to the Walter Reed hospital in Washington, where autopsies were performed. The space craft contained technology that baffled the Pentagon's best scientists, says Corso. He claims parts of the spacecraft were parcelled out to America's top defence companies and eventually led to the development of fibre optics, night-vision equipment, lasers, particle beams and integrated circuits. The "massive cover-up" of the Roswell incident was not so much to keep the secret of the aliens from the American people, he insists, but to allow defence contractors to develop the new technologies without them falling into the hands of the Russians. Ironically, the defence contractors were told that the material had been stolen from the Soviet Union. Corso said: "Nobody wanted to come in second place in the silent, unacknowledged alien-technology development race going on at the Pentagon as each service quietly pursued its version of a secret Roswell weapon." Corso had joined the army in 1942 and served in intelligence in Europe. Later, during the Korean War, he was on General Douglas MacArthur's intelligence staff and for four years served on President Dwight Eisenhower's national security staff. He claims that while he was based at Fort Riley in Kansas in July 1947, he became curious about a mysterious group of sealed boxes that had been stored in a secure area. One night, armed with a torch, he prised open one of the containers. Inside, he says, was an astonishing sight: "The contents, enclosed in a thick glass container, were submerged in a thick light blue liquid. At first I thought it was a dead child they were shipping somewhere, but this was no child." "It was a 4ft human-shaped figure with arms, bizarre-looking four-fingered hands - I didn't see a thumb - thin legs and feet, and an over-sized incandescent lightbulb-shaped head that looked like it was floating over a balloon gondola for a chin. I had the urge to touch the pale grey skin. But I couldn't tell whether it was skin because it also looked like a very thin one-piece head-to-toe fabric covering the creature's flesh." His account is similar to how others have previously imagined the Roswell "aliens". However, George Knapp, an investigative reporter and UFO expert, said: "Corso brings a level of credibility to these revelations that has been sorely lacking in the past. I strongly suggest that interested parties keep open minds about his claims." But Karl Pflock, a former assistant secretary of defence and a writer on UFOs who is working on his own account of Roswell, said: "The book is a cross between a 1940 pulp thriller and contemporary pop science fiction. It is one big outrageous joke that a retired officer could pull off this kind of thing. He offers no proof, no back-up and no documentation." Nevertheless, the book wil give weight to the claims of researchers when 10m people watch a live debate on UFOs on ITV later this month. Lionel Beer, founder and vice-president of the British UFO Research Association, said: "Ninety-five per cent of UFO researchers are now convinced the autopsy film was a put-up job. Clearly something happened at Roswell, but we may never know exactly what it was."
UFO UpDates - Toronto -
updates@globalserve.net
Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp - ++ 416-696-0304
A Hand-Operated E-Mail Subscription Service for the Study of UFO Related
Phenomena.
To subscribe please send your first and last name to
updates@globalserve.net
Message submissions should be sent to the same address.
|
Link it to the appropriate Ufologist or UFO Topic page. |
Archived as a public service by Area 51 Research Center which is not
responsible for content.
Financial support for this web server is provided by the
Research Center Catalog.
Software by Glenn Campbell.
Technical contact:
webmaster@ufomind.com