UFO UpDates Mailing List
From: UFO UpDates - Toronto <updates@globalserve.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:54:26 -0500
Fwd Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:54:26 -0500
Subject: IUFO: Friedman & Simms Reply to UPN's Hoax
From: IUFO Mailing List
http://www.ufomind.com/ufo/media/mailing/archive/iufo/msg04516.shtml
Stanton and Derrel Reply to UPN's Hoax
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:52:05 -0600 (CST)
From: *Vanguard* [Amy Hebert]
Subject: IUFO: Stanton and Derrel Reply to UPN's Hoax
-> SearchNet's IUFO Mailing List
Dear Friends:
As mentioned previously, I wrote to Derrel Sims and Stanton Friedman and
asked them about their role in UPN's production "Alien Abduction Incident At
Lake County". Below is a copy of my letter and their responses to my
questions...
************
Dear Mr. Friedman (fsphys@brunnet.net):
I, and many others in the UFO community, watched UPN's show the other night
in which you appeared and gave your opinions as an investigator and
researcher.
The video was an obvious fake and many in the UFO community are outraged.
We are boycotting UPN, informing the producers and advertisers of our
feelings and spreading the word.
Many find it hard to believe you, Derrel and Yvonne would support such an
obvious hoax and theorize that your interviews were edited to make it look
like experts were supporting the alleged video of an abduction. It does
appear that your comments as well as Derrel's and Yvonne's do not refer to
the video directly.
Could you please answer the following questions so many are asking?
1. Did you know your comments would be used to support the alleged
abduction video?
Friedman: No of course not. I didn't see the video and haven't seen the
program I gave answers to questions about abductions.
2. Did the producers edit your interview to make it LOOK like you were
refering to the video when, in fact, you were only refering to
abductions in general?
Friedman: I have no idea how they edited my comments. I wasn't asked about
the video and said nothing about it.
3. Did you view the alleged abduction video before making your comments and
did you believe it to be real or an obvious hoax?
Friedman: I didn't see the video. I haven't seen the video. How can I have
an opinion? Everything I have heard indicates that actors were
listed and that the probably filmer was a guy named Alioto. I
have seen nothing to indicate that either the video was genuine
or that UPN said it was genuine.
4. Did the producers tell you the video was in actuality produced with
actors and special effects (as listed in the credits at the end of the
program) and not a real video of an abduction in progress?
Friedman: It was implied after the interview.
5. This program has openly attempted to discredit you and all researchers
who are trying to inform the public of the true nature of abduction
phenomena. Can you explain how you came to be involved in this project?
Friedman: I don't understand how the program attempted to discredit me or
other researchers. Were my answers off base? Did they give me
false credentials? I was called on Dec. 31; trip arranged Jan.
1, I left on Jan 2 stayed overnight, was interviwed Jan.3 , saw
my daughter and caught the red eye. Obviously I was contacted
because I am well known and have been at it a long time. Would
it really have been better if somebody less able to answer the
questions rationally hade been used? So far nobody has complained
about what I actually said or how I said it.
Hastily, Stan
******************
And this reply from Derrel Sims (derrel@holman.net):
DEAR AMY,
Thank you for asking,
I was interviewed on the subject of abductions by an interviewer at Dick
Clark Productions who asked a series of very general questions about
abductions, I signed a release for the interview I gave not knowing that
it would be cut and edited into another piece. I was not informed by
either the producers, or interviewer, that my comments would be used in a
video. I did not see the video. I did not comment on the video in any
way. If I had known I was going to be a part of a production--dramatic or
otherwise--parts of which I was not being shown, I would not have done the
interview. The production entitled "Incident in Lake County" in no way
reflects my opinions about the video. I regret the way my image was used.
In the future I will scrutinize with great care any requests for my
appearances.
Derrel Sims
******************************************
It appears no one has complained to Derrel or Stanton about this video nor
does it seem that either has seen it. Perhaps those wishing to express
their opinions to UPN may also wish to share it with Stanton and Derrel.
Amy
UFO UpDates - Toronto -
updates@globalserve.net
Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp - ++ 416-696-0304
A Hand-Operated E-Mail Subscription Service for the Study of UFO Related
Phenomena.
To subscribe please send your first and last name to
updates@globalserve.net
Message submissions should be sent to the same address.
|
Link it to the appropriate Ufologist or UFO Topic page. |
Archived as a public service by Area 51 Research Center which is not
responsible for content.
Financial support for this web server is provided by the
Research Center Catalog.
Software by Glenn Campbell.
Technical contact:
webmaster@ufomind.com