From: jan@cyberzone.net (Jan Aldrich) Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:29:52 -0800 Fwd Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:50:00 -0500 Subject: Charleston AFB, SC, 1975 The 1975 flyover reports were very interesting. Not all reports have been published. Perhaps the report below was related to that activity. It is too bad this report was not followed up at the time. The name has been deleted per the writer's request. -- Jan Aldrich Project 1947 http://www.iufog.org/project1947/ >To: National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena Dear Sirs: I just finished reading an article in the Sunday newspaper magazine, Parade. The article, UFO's vs. USAF, described incidents which were identical to one with which I had some personal involvement. Though I can't pinpoint the exact time, the incident occurred in late 1974 or early into 1975. I was a staff sergeant in the Air Force, working an evening shift at Charleston AFB, SC., xxxxxxxxxxxx Section. I received a call from a chief petty officer at the Charleston Navy Weapons Station (nuclear storage area). He wanted to know whether we had any information on the three helicopters (or whatever) which were hovering over the storage area. He said they were just hovering and each was shining a bright light which was scanning the area. I informed the chief that I had no flight plan information on helicopters or any other aircraft which would be in that area. I took his name ad number and told him I would call back if I found out anything. I then called the airport control tower. They informed me that tower personnel had been and were observing the three lights and had assumed them to be helicopters on a VFR flight plan. when I explained that the objects were over the weapons station, tower attempted radio contact with no response. The tower controller also checked with airport radar w ho could not pick the objects up on scope nor had they had any radio contact. I then called the Jacksonville, Fla. Air Traffic Control Center. The controller there also had no information on the "helicopters". I made one other call in trying to determine information on the objects. The Charleston AFS, an Air Defense Command radar site, is located near the municipal terminal side of the airport. The person I spoke to there (airman) seemed vague, unconcerned and unresponsive to the information but said they would check on it. I then called the navy chief to let him know I had struck out. He said the objects had just left the area heading in the direction of the ocean. A final call to the control tower revealed that they had just observed the objects disappear from view, out to seat at a very low altitude. The incident described is accurate to the best of my memory. It left me a bit shaken and greatly concerned about our air defense and security procedures. Since there was nothing about the incident in the news the next day nor any apparent concern from military superiors, I decided to "tip" Mr. Hal Boykin, a local TV anchor man. He gave a brief report a couple of days later. Basically all that was reported was that Charleston navy officials had confirmed the incident and had it under investigation. As you can tell, the incident I have described is very similar or identical to the ones in the Parade article with nuclear storage areas being the "target" of the objects. However, this incident happened several months prior to any of those. It happened in a different geographical area and to the Navy instead of the Air Force. Could this have been the initial practice run as a prelude to the sightings mentioned in the article? There still may be a casual record of the Charleston sighting in the dispatchers log book at base operations. These logs are usually kept for a longer period than routine office files. Regardless, four civilian employees are still there who should have some recall of the incident. They are Mrs. Lois Wells, Mr. McFarland, Mr. Froman and Mr. Thornburg. I'm not sure, but I think Mr. Froman was my shift supervisor when the incident happened. Personally, I do not believe these were UFO's in the traditional sense. I believe they were penetration of our security and defense either by our own forces for the purpose of testing the system or by a foreign adversary for reconnaissance purposes. I only hope that the former was the case. I hope this information will be of some use to your organization. It has been bugging me for sometime now. Since I am a career NCO still on active duty with the Air Force, I request you keep my name and that I used to work at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx confidential. I am not authorized to give out this type of information and am subject to punitive measures for doing so. Respectfully,
UFO UpDates - Toronto -
updates@globalserve.net
Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp - ++ 416-696-0304
A Hand-Operated E-Mail Subscription Service for the Study of UFO Related
Phenomena.
To subscribe please send your first and last name to
updates@globalserve.net
Message submissions should be sent to the same address.
|
Link it to the appropriate Ufologist or UFO Topic page. |
Archived as a public service by Area 51 Research Center which is not
responsible for content.
Financial support for this web server is provided by the
Research Center Catalog.
Software by Glenn Campbell.
Technical contact:
webmaster@ufomind.com