Earth Aliens On Earth.com
Resources for those who are stranded here
Earth
Our Bookstore is OPEN
Over 5000 new & used titles, competitively priced!
Topics: UFOs - Paranormal - Area 51 - Ghosts - Forteana - Conspiracy - History - Biography - Psychology - Religion - Crime - Health - Geography - Maps - Science - Money - Language - Recreation - Technology - Fiction - Other - New
Search... for keyword(s)  

Location: Mothership -> UFO -> Updates -> 1998 -> Mar -> Phoenix Lights Remain Bright One Year Later

UFO UpDates Mailing List

Phoenix Lights Remain Bright One Year Later

From: Stig_Agermose@online.pol.dk (Stig Agermose)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:04:57 +0100
Fwd Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:40:16 -0500
Subject: Phoenix Lights Remain Bright One Year Later

URL:

http://www.azcentral.com:80/news/0313phxlites.shtml

*******


Phoenix Lights remain bright one year later

Alien or not, they lit up some lives


Michael Chow/The Arizona Republic


Since witnessing the Phoenix Lights a year ago, Mike and Nannette
Fortson spend their nights together watching the skies, hoping for
another sighting.


By Richard Ruelas
The Arizona Republic
March 13, 1998


No one was abducted by the crafts that flew over Phoenix on March 13,
1997. The air ships didn't land in the Valley, blaze a pattern in the
desert grass, or even scrape a tree. The balls of lights that same
night didn't send out musical tones trying to communicate.

That could be, of course, because the crafts were most likely a
squadron of planes. And the balls of light were high-intensity flares
dropped during a training exercise.

But the "Phoenix Lights," which appeared a year ago today, had definite
impact, whether their origin was ordinary or out-of-this world.

Documentaries have been done, more are on the way; books and a CD-ROM
are in the works. The lights are on T-shirts and talk radio.

They've pushed a relatively unknown former Phoenix city councilwoman
into the national media spotlight. Two men who investigated the lights
say it cost them a business relationship with a Spam millionaire.
Another UFO investigator said the lights zapped him of energy to peer
anymore.

The lights also rekindled at least one marriage.

Nannette and Mike Fortson happened to see the light formation from
their Chandler back yard. Since then, they've spent every night outside
looking for a repeat show.

"Other than the hand of God coming through space, nothing could have
been more profound," said Mike Fortson, a safety products salesman and
chili cook-off champion.

The Fortsons, both 45, now spend about three hours each night sitting
outside on their patio scanning the skies. They tore out a gazebo so
they have a clearer view. They have a $900 video camera at the ready,
and a high-beam flashlight in case any crafts want to communicate.

They've seen some objects they believe are alien craft, but nothing as
spectacular as the March 13 lights. The main benefit has been to their
25-year marriage, they say.

"To be able to shut the TV off and talk, that's a great thing," Fortson
said. "I think it's brought back some passion to us," he said before
his wife shushed him.

It was a spectacular light show, no doubt, seen by thousands of Phoenix
residents.

Around 8:30 p.m. five lights swept down from Northern Arizona over
Phoenix in a boomerang formation. Some say it appeared to be a solid
black object; others said they could see stars between the lights. A
videotape shows that the lights seemed to move independently of each
other.

An amateur astronomer pointed his powerful telescope at the lights and
said he saw airplanes.

The second light show happened closer to 10 p.m. Seven lights flashed
brilliantly, then slowly disappeared along the city's southwestern
horizon.

An Air National Guard sergeant found that the Maryland Air Guard had
dropped a volley of flares during training exercises southwest of
Phoenix around 10 p.m.

But those explanations didn't satisfy some.

A hard-core group turned the tables, deciding they didn't need to prove
the lights were an alien craft, but rather demanded skeptics prove they
weren't.

For the believers, a clubhouse emerged: Village Labs, a spacious,
mostly vacant office in Tempe.

The company was set up five years ago, with designs on enabling
companies to access a planned supercomputer in Nebraska.

The company was run by Jim Dilettoso and Michael Tanner, who spent the
'70s as touring rock musicians and part-time UFO researchers. They
convinced Spam magnate Geordie Hormel to pay their lease and lend the
company its considerable start-up costs, court records show.

But instead of finding investors, Dilettoso and Tanner said they spent
the bulk of their time investigating the lights.

Dilettoso said he was courting companies like TRW and US West, but they
backed off.

"When you're dealing with companies that big, you can't say, 'Sorry, I
missed the paperwork deadline because I was working on some UFO video
last night,' " he said.

Hormel recently yanked his funds from Village Labs, saying he couldn't
wait any longer for the computer project which was supposed to return
him millions of dollars. Village Labs got an eviction notice and must
be out in less than three weeks.

"It was all legit, there was nothing fake about it," said Hormel, who
estimated he put $2 million into Village Labs. "It just never got the
financing it needed."

Tanner said he spent countless hours interviewing more than 300
witnesses to the lights, dismissing only three of them as kooks.
Witness statements have put more objects in the sky that night.

Tanner has concluded there were at least two V-shaped craft, two solid
triangles, one giant disc and two hovering formations of orbs competing
for airspace that night.

Dilettoso became the media's expert on the lights. He began doing
optical analysis of the videotapes, saying he could prove by careful
spectral analysis of the amateur videotapes, that the objects weren't
flares.

But Paul Scowen, an astronomer at Arizona State University, isn't so
sure. He said it's impossible to tell anything about the origin of a
light source from a TV picture.

"The evidence seems a little bit shaky," Scowen said.

Richard Motzer, who heads up Arizona's Mutual UFO Network group, said
he's done chasing aliens.

"I can't afford it. I don't want another one of these things," he said.
Motzer said his self-started computing business suffered because of the
time he spent digging for the truth.

"You have to draw an ending point to this," he said.

The lights could signal a new beginning for another media darling
created during the year: Francis Emma Barwood.

The former Phoenix councilwoman was rebuked by everyone she asked to
look into the lights. She used the refusals as ammunition for her
secretary of state campaign, pledging to open up state records. One of
her campaign consultants is a national UFO expert.

"After talking to hundreds of people, it's just amazing how deeply they
feel about this, that something's there," she said.

Barwood said she doesn't aim to be known as the UFO candidate, but said
it follows her everywhere.

Except the one day she spoke to some UFO buffs at a metaphysical
bookstore in Phoenix.

"They didn't even ask me about UFO stuff," Barwood said. "They wanted
to learn where I stood on all the (political) issues."

That could be because the lights, for some, are simply a hobby.

"I definitely look up a lot more," said Trig Johnston, a former airline
pilot who saw the 8:30 p.m. lights. "I haven't been obsessed with it. I
think some people have."

Despite his time investment, Fortson said the lights are merely a
fascination for him as well.

"I don't go everywhere with my camera; I don't have an aluminum foil
hat," Fortson said.

But he does have a patio, a pair of binoculars and a low-light video
camera.

"If March 13 happens again," he said. "I'll be ready for it."

***

Richard Ruelas can be reached at 444-8473 or at richard.ruelas@pni.com
via e-mail.


Copyright 1998, The Arizona Republic
Search The Republic's Archives | Subscribe to The Republic


Search for other documents to/from: stig_agermose | richard.ruelas

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
[ This Month's Index | UFO UpDates Main Index | MUFON Ontario ]

UFO UpDates - Toronto - updates@globalserve.net
Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp - ++ 416-696-0304

A Hand-Operated E-Mail Subscription Service for the Study of UFO Related Phenomena.
To subscribe please send your first and last name to updates@globalserve.net
Message submissions should be sent to the same address.


[ UFO Topics | People | Ufomind What's New | Ufomind Top Level ]

To find this message again in the future...
Link it to the appropriate Ufologist or UFO Topic page.

Archived as a public service by Area 51 Research Center which is not responsible for content.
Software by Glenn Campbell. Technical contact: webmaster@ufomind.com

Financial support for this web server is provided by the Research Center Catalog.