UFO UpDates Mailing List
From: James Easton <pulsar@compuserve.com> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:51:58 -0500 Fwd Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:58:06 -0500 Subject: Re: 'Mail On Sunday' Regarding... >Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:48:39 +0000 >From: Philip Mantle <el51@dial.pipex.com> >Subject: 'Mail On Sunday' Philip wrote: >Does anyone have a spare copy of the 'tent footage' expose in >last weeks Mail On Sunday. Philip, There's an html'd version of the article with published photographs, including a 'tent footage' frame showing the 'security codes', on my web site at: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pulsar/mail_os.htm It's now obvious that the 'security codes' are ridiculous and apparently written in chalk. I understand the 'board' they are written on was the cover from part of a drum kit. Keith Bateman claims that when they first showed the film to Ray, he said it should have a 'restricted notice' on it. They then superimposed these infamous 'security codes' and returned the film to him. This would explain why there were two copies of the 'tent footage', only one of which had the 'security codes'. Interesting that the bogus 'security codes', which Nick asked about at my request, were apparently simply made up by Elliot, the technician who played the part of a 'doctor'. Yet the 'notice' says "Subject 1 of 2" and Ray then produced film of two 'autopsied aliens'. Similarly, the 'barn footage' had 'President Truman', albeit the local farmer in a scarecrow's coat, and the 'alien autopsy' story also featured claims of Truman being present. The only evidence was of course the 'Truman reel' which allegedly couldn't be processed as the film was 'stuck together'. If Ray did pay them to stop promoting the 'tent footage' as their own 'alien autopsy', then he must presumably have known the true origins of this film. That aside, it would be helpful if you could comment on the following extract from an interview you with gave to Rebecca Schatte, I believe in January of 1996: RS: Phil, have you seen in a film canister, the presumed celluloid copy of the tent footage, with your own eyes or were you just told that he has it? PM: No, I have seen it myself. RS: O.K., have you held it up to the light, have you seen a body or frames that look real? PM: No, I haven't seen the one that's got the autopsy on it, but I have seen the film that has the tent scene and also at the same time, I removed, figuratively, I didn't cut it off, and I noted the edge code, because Ray Santilli made a great deal about the edge codes, so I noted it on the film and I drew it myself and it was the proper edge code. RS: It is my understanding that the tent footage does show a body, is that correct? PM: It does indeed. Do you want me to describe what it shows? RS: Yes, but please answer this first; when you looked at the celluloid film and you noted that it had the proper edge code did you hold any portion of it up to the light in order to determine that it had frames that contained the body on that film? PM: No, no I did not. [...] RS: Would you say that on this film the faces of the people facing the camera are clear enough that they can be identified? PM: Absolutely, if the original was released. Bear in mind that this was the first piece of film that Ray Santilli showed to me before the autopsy had been shown and so on. And it was on that evidence that I tried to persuade Ray Santilli to speak at our conference last August, which he eventually did. If I thought to myself, "fake or genuine", I had no idea and I still don't, but there is a slim chance that somebody, somewhere would be able to recognize the faces and on my copy, which I said is several generations old, the faces aren't all that clear, but on the original material Ray Santilli has you can clearly make out there faces and I'm sure if it was released, round the world, in whatever format, there is a remote possibility that could be identified. The man with his back to the camera, you don't ever see his face, so therefore there is no possibility of that, but the other two people most definitely. RS: There was approximately two minutes or so of tent footage sold to broadcasters when they purchased the other rights to the film. It was never shown because it was in too poor of condition, but on a videotape, that is obviously is a bootleg that Stanton Friedman and Chuck Harder in the US are selling, there is footage like you describe; however, there appears to be black blobs that have been superimposed over the heads of the people. Your tape does not have these blobs? PM: Not at all. You can see the faces of the people. As I pointed out, on the copy that Ray Santilli has it is... you can make them out even clearer, very clear indeed. It is very poor quality, I mean it looks like it is out of, uhm a gas lamp is illuminating it or a very low watt lamp of some kind that is perhaps generated by a gas generator outside or a petrol generator or whatever. It is poor illuminated. You have to remember this--it is not like the other material that has been released. But it is clear enough to make out their faces, no question about that. RS: This clearer version that Ray Santilli showed you, was that what he showed you first or how did you come about seeing the clear footage? PM: Yes, he showed it to me and I also saw it many, many months later when were at a meeting with Union Pictures in London. They made the Roswell Incident documentary here for Channel 4 and we met with them and the commissioning editors of Channel 4 with Ray Santilli and a colleague of his called Chris Cary. They showed the autopsy first and everybody watched it intently and then Ray showed them the tent footage and because it was not graphic in detail, everybody just ignored it, but I watched it yet again. To me it is more important than the autopsy because you can see the people's faces, but a lot of people seemed to have missed the point. [End] As we now know, that point was significant and resulted in welcome clarification about the true origins of this film. What about the "celluloid copy of the tent footage", you referred to. As you noted not having actually seen any frames from the 'tent footage' on the reel you saw, were you simply told that this reel of film contained the 'tent footage'? James. E-mail: pulsar@compuserve.com
UFO UpDates - Toronto -
updates@globalserve.net
Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp - ++ 416-696-0304
A Hand-Operated E-Mail Subscription Service for the Study of UFO Related
Phenomena.
To subscribe please send your first and last name to
updates@globalserve.net
Message submissions should be sent to the same address.
|
Link it to the appropriate Ufologist or UFO Topic page. |
Archived as a public service by Area 51 Research Center which is not
responsible for content.
Financial support for this web server is provided by the
Research Center Catalog.
Software by Glenn Campbell.
Technical contact:
webmaster@ufomind.com